My journey to Being Love has been hugely influenced by books.
One of the first books that started my journey to self was a book on self-love written by Sabine Standenat. It wasn't until I read that book that I realized how much negative self-talk I had floating around in my mind. In my pursuit of "fixing" that, I kept buying books that I believe would help me heal from it. Of course that's not how it really works. But it did start a book obsession for me.
Even though I have been buying books all my life, I've bought a lot of books in the past 7 years. In these books I've been able to find truths that have helped me on my way. They have taught me how to love and believe in my capabilities.
The books I'm sharing with you are all special to me for different reasons. I've read these books many times and have made a huge difference in the way I see myself and the world around me. And it is my hope that these books will be as much of a blessing to you as it they have been to me.
1. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
What touches me each and every time is the journey of the main character, Santiago. One day he decides to walk into the direction of what he wants, and his life changed in ways he could never have imagined!
Being honest about what I want will create expansiveness and room for growth.
The people we encounter on our journey are a mirror for us.
When we are clear about what we want, the Universe will conspire to help us.
True love is expansive.
3 of my favorite quotes:
"People need not fear the unknown if they are capable of achieving what they need and want. We are afraid of losing what we have, whether it's our life or our possessions and property. But this fear evaporates when we understand that our life stories and the history of the world were written by the same hand."
"I want my husband to wander as free as the wind that shapes the dunes. And, if I have to, I will accept that he has become part of the clouds, and the animals, and the water of the desert."
"All things are a manifestation of one thing only."
2. Mastery of Love by Don Miguel Ruiz
The Mastery of Love is a beautiful book that has taught me many lessons on Love. By reading this book I have made adjustments to my definition of Love. The Mastery of Love taught me that true love is freedom and boundaries at the same time.
3 of my favorite quotes:
"Life brings you exactly what you need. If you just open your eyes and see what is around you, it's exactly what you need to clean your poison, to heal your wounds, to accept yourself, and to get out of hell."
"Playmates and team players play together, but not against each other."
"You are never going to be good enough for yourself when the idea of perfection is completely wrong. It's a false concept; it's not even real. But you believe it. Not being perfect, you reject yourself, and the level of self-rejection depends on how strong the adults were in breaking your integrity."
3. Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes
The Year of Yes made me feel as though any day could be the first day of a new life. And I learned that this new life starts by saying YES. Not just as a way to open doors, but as an expression of self-love.
"Serena's not worried her friend is gonna feel bad she's not as good at tennis as Serena is. You know why? Because in order to be as good as Serene, you have to decide that your goal is that NO ONE is going to be as good as you are at tennis. Then you have to make it true. And if you have to be okay with being better than everyone else."
4. Peace from Broken Pieces by Iyanla VanZant
This beautiful gem of a book has turned my life upside down! Reading her journey has shown me that healing is an action word. Healing is not something that happens to fall in your lap, it's something you have to continually work at.
- At any given point we can be the victims and the perpetrators. So learn, forgive, and do better.
- Our decisions have long lasting effects, and can be felt for many generations. Be a woman of honor and be intentional in your relationships.
- Your challenges don't disqualify you from life. Your actions determine your quality of life. You might be broke(n), but you don't have to stay there.
- “I now realize that lives fall apart when they need to be rebuilt. Lives fall apart when the foundation upon which they were built needs to be relaid. Lives fall apart, not because God is punishing us for what we have or have not done. Lives fall apart because they need to. They need to because they weren’t built the right way in the first place.”
- “Unworthiness always puts you in debt to anyone and everyone who shows you the slightest degree of attention or love or energy. Eventually, in this form of bankrupt relationship, your benefactors will demand or expect more than you are able or willing to give. This is the precise moment they will choose to call in the loan.”
- “When you are starting your life over, with a new sense of self, who you once were is going to challenge you. Who you once were is going to dangle old carrots, old wounds and issues, in front of your face. When that happens, you will be tempted to revert to old feelings, old patterns of thought, and old patterns of behavior.”
- “When doubt is present in your consciousness it indicates a much more profound problem. The real problem is the personal lie. Everyone has one: It is a story that we tell ourselves about who we are and what we do and do not deserve in life. Your personal lie is a function of all of the broken pieces of your puzzle—all of the elements of your history, all of your experiences, all that you have been taught about yourself merging with all that you have made up about yourself. Your personal lie circulates throughout your entire being and determines how you move, or if you can move at all. It is a function of what is stored on your internal landscape, your perceptions and misconceptions about life and how you fit into the scheme of things.”
If you've read any of these books and would like to share how these books changed you, please drop a few lines in the comment section. I would love to hear what lessons you learned from these books.
Join the Sisterhood
If all this appeals to you, stay close and join the sisterhood on Instagram! We have such beautiful conversations on there...
Wishing you a day filled with Peace, Love, and Happiness!